Saturday, July 2, 2011

Trigun Anime Review

Stats:
Episodes: 26
Aired: April 1, 1998 - September 3, 1998
Current MAL score: 8.35
Current MAL rank: 157

Short synopsis: Vash the Stampede is portrayed as a dangerous man capable of destroying an entire town ruthlessly. Because of his reputation, people flee whenever they hear his name, but this enigmatic character is not as heartless as he's put out to be. In fact, he's much more kindhearted and heroic than a villain, and sometimes his actions can be borderline idiotic.

Before I started Trigun, I was a little skeptical of Vash's character and how peaceable he was. I like my main characters to be powerful fighters that don't mind roughing up their enemies. I heard that Vash wasn't this way; he wanted to avoid pain and suffering as much as possible, and I figured the fact that he wouldn't take up arms would bother me. But it didn't bother me at all. Actually, the writers were really smart about revealing more and more of Vash's badassed-ry as the show went on. In the early episodes, Vash barely struck back at his enemies when they were attacking him, instead he tried to nullify their attack in the least aggressive way possible, and it often times ended up being comical. Later on in the series, though, Vash's enemies started attacking the innocent people around him, and that's when Vash fought back. His strong sense of justice, his hilarious personality, and his reasons for pacifism made him a perfect main character. I never got tired of watching him on screen as he was such a fun guy. Not only that, but as his past was carefully unraveled throughout the episodes, I really began to understand his character and the dark past he had to live through.  

Not only Vash, but all the other character got a fair amount of development as well. One of my other favorite characters in particular was Wolfwood, the strange vagrant priest, always walking around with a huge cross strapped to his back. It was that crucifix that made him so awesome. I have never seen such a badass weapon in my life. It's a bit difficult to explain, but his cross was sheltering several  different guns and could transform into them at will.
Nicholas D. Wolfwood and his cross in action
Going back a bit though, I really want to acknowledge the wonderful writing in this anime. The pacing was impeccable. Every single minute of those 26 episodes was utilized to its fullest. Whether it was the refreshing comedic relief interspersed throughout the show or the more serious battle scenes, the writers knew how to work it to its full potential. By the end of the series, almost every detail had been covered and all questions had been given a satisfactory answer.

This is truly a fantastic anime that has most definitely earned its title as a classic. If you haven't watched it yet, I really recommend it. You won't find another anime quite like it, one that mixes the old west, immortality, and assassins so perfectly. The only thing that you may not enjoy about Trigun is the old art. The age of Trigun definitely shows; there are a few episodes with awkward derp faces or disproportionate limbs, and the background are always a bit lackluster, but the plot is so damn good that it's hard to give a shit about the little things like that.

Also, the music in this show was great for the most part. The opening theme is reminiscent of Cowboy Bebop's (they came out at about the same time, though Bebop took longer to air for some reason...)
I really, really love this opening. ^^

Plot: 10/10
Music: 9/10
Ending: 9/10
Art: 6/10
Characters: 10/10
Personal Enjoyment: 10/10
Total: 54/60
Mean: 9
I kind of want to give it a 10 on MAL because I loved it that much... I think I will. xD

Other shit
  • Thanks to Glo for telling me about Windows Live Writer which I didn't use on this post and was a bitch to set up, but is still awesome, and I should probably start using it.
  • HOLY SHIT DEXTER. Basically the best show ever. 
  • Yay! My hot water is working again! I'm going to take a nice long hot bath right now. Oh Jesus, it's been too long. >.<
  • I also need to hang postcards on my ceiling. I can't believe the ones already up haven't fallen down yet, especially with the fan on high constantly. That is the power of tacks and tape.