Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Blogger vs. Wordpress

You may not have known this, but I did switch this blog over to Wordpress at one point. It's still sitting there, completely stagnant with a grand total of 0 views. I don't really plan on completely switching over. It'd be too much of a hassle to reroute everything, including my widgets, anime nano feed, and getting everyone to come to the new blog instead of this one. Oh, and the fact that most of the Youtube videos I posted got lost in the switch means I'd have to hunt them all down and put the them in the posts all over again. Way too much of a hassle. 

I did like the Wordpress feel, though. It feels a lot slicker in the new post/drafting area as well as in the commenting system. I was practically sold when I first switched over. I figured I could deal with all the mishaps of switching over. I have a lot of time on my hands. I could pull it off.

The thing that made my resolve shudder and eventually burn out completely was the extremely restricted themes on Wordpress. I don't want to pay for my blog, so the themes for my blog were very limited. I could personalize the colors and everything, but the layout was set in stone. There was no rearranging or adjusting widths like you can on Blogger. I want complete customization and the freedom to change whatever I want. Blogger is a free canvas that doesn't contain my imagination or creativity; I can do whatever the hell I want on Blogger.

The other thing that really annoyed me was how small the banner had to be. The only theme that would support my large 1,000 x 300 banners was Duster. It's not a bad theme, but there were a lot of other themes that I liked better. Those other themes would force me to cut off some of my banner, which would make it look completely disjointed and odd. To make my banners fit those sizes, I would have to edit them in Photoshop and make them smaller, and I didn't want to do that. I like my banners big.

As you can probably tell, I stuck with Blogger in the end. I just didn't have the drive to completely switch my blog over; plus, I already have all my stuff here. I'm not going to just up and move when I'm finally comfortable with my layout.

What do you guys think about this?