Saturday, May 14, 2011

Top 5 Vocaloids

I kind of had to force myself to like Vocaloid.

All the pics in this post came from my wallpapers folder
I had been to a few conventions, and since I only knew "World Is Mine" by Miku Hatsune and "Just Be Friends" by Megurine Luka, I felt totally out of the loop when my friend took me to a Vocaloid panel. I remember sitting there as she excitedly sang along to the music while I sat there trying to match her enthusiasm. 

After that I swore I would find out the mystery behind Vocaloid. Why was it so popular?

I spent hours browsing Youtube and downloading music. Instead of watching anime, in my freetime I would browse Youtube playlists and watch Vocaloid PVs. Although I hadn't really liked their voices all too much (especially Rin; I hated her xD), after listening to them for so long, I really started to love their computer generated voices. Sometimes I think Vocaloid is an acquired taste. What do you think? 

Anyway, along with the countdown. 

I know that yesterday I posted this, talking about how awesome this new Vocaloid Yuma was. I know I seemed really excited about his voice then, but I couldn't include him in this countdown. This is for a number of reasons: 1) he doesn't have many songs, 2) I only found out about him yesterday and 3) he doesn't really have a pronounced character (read: he has no fanart). As much as I wanted to, I just couldn't bring myself to place him in this list, so now that you know what to expect, I bring to you... My top 5 Vocaloids!

5. Rin
When I first started listening to Vocaloid, I really hated Rin. I thought her voice was too squeaky and high-pitched. It seemed like all the Rin songs I listened to were of terrible quality. I guess you could say that newfag Vocaloid music creators fostered my passionate resentment of the Rin/Len duo. 

After a while though, I found many songs that had been made by people who knew how to utilize Rin's unique voice. I started to appreciate her, and eventually, even look forward to listening to her music. 

Here are some awesome Rin songs:
 







4. Nekomura Iroha
I find her to be a bit underrated. She has such a beautiful, unique, and clear voice. I'm surprised she doesn't have more songs. 

Her voice is low, but she can hit high notes well... It's difficult to describe, so instead of reading my inadequate descriptions, listen to some of her songs listed below. :)







3. Hatsune Miku
This technological diva would be higher on my list, but she's so overused as a singer. I've heard her voice so many times that it lacks the charm it once had on me. Nonetheless, I do still love all of the fanart and many of Miku's songs. "World Is Mine" was the first Vocaloid song I had ever heard. If not for that song, I probably wouldn't have gotten into Vocaloid as much as I have. 

Anyway, here are some awesome songs by Miku for you to enjoy. 







2. Gumi
I love Megumi Nakajima's voice, so when I heard that there would be a Vocaloid with her voice, I knew I would love her. 

And I do. I love Gumi. 

I don't think there's ever been a song of hers that I haven't liked. Megumi Nakajima's voice has a certain purity and innocence to it that isn't lost even when converted to computer. The unique qualities of her voice are found among the technological twang, and I applaud the creators of Gumi for pulling off such a realistic Vocaloid. Have a listen:








1. Megurine Luka
It's a bit difficult for me to pinpoint exactly what I love about Luka. Her lower, more mature voice never gets old to me. No matter how many of her songs I listen to in a row, it never tires. 

Sometimes I find myself specifically hunting down Luka songs, longing to hear her voice (that may seem pretty normal, but all my Vocaloid songs are in Japanese, and I'm a "shuffle" kind of girl anyway). 

I love her character design, especially the long pink hair. 

I look forward to a Luka solo in a song with various Vocaloid singers. 

There's just so many small things that I love about her that snowball together to create a heaping love-snow-boulder. 

She's simply amazing.