Thursday, May 5, 2011

My First and Hopefully Last Experience with Bootlegged Anime

When I first got into anime a few years ago, I became obsessed with Blood+. I loved everything about it, and I desperately wanted to buy it on DVD. I didn't have a lot of money, though, and Blood+ is a bit difficult to find in stores, especially in bulk.

So what exactly do you do when you don't have a lot of money and the item you're looking for isn't available in stores?

Why, go to eBay, of course!

And that's exactly what I did. I searched through all these different Blood+ discs, and finally found the one I had desperately wanted, the complete 50 episode series on 4 DVDs for around $35.00. It was perfect. I didn't care where it had come from (Hong Kong) or that it just seemed a little fishy; I was blinded by my obsession and naivety.

I ordered it online and excitedly waited two weeks or so for it to arrive. Yes, I am one of those people who, after ordering something online, will check the mail every single day to see if it's there. The UPS/Fedex man becomes a Messiah. He might as well discard his truck and travel through the sky with angelic wings, sprinkling packages onto the town like fairy dust.

Anyway, my DVD finally came, and of course, I had immediately popped it into the DVD player. I remember being so freaking excited as I sat in my family room, eagerly turning on the TV and adjusting myself among a mountain of pillows. This was the staple of my boring summer days.

And yet, it was so incredibly disappointing.

I can excuse the fact that their grammar was that of retarded redneck monkeys, but they took it waaaayy too far when they started messing with the names of the characters. I specifically remember this one really badass monster guy named David or something, but the subbers called him Daisy or Shirley or something.

At first it was kind of funny, but after a while it started to piss me off.

As I have said, their grammar and spelling was total and complete shit. They would put apostrophes and commas in random places, capitalize every single word in a sentence (that really pisses me off), and they would make up gibberish words that had nothing to do with the context. They renamed practically everything  in the show. It was incomprehensible. It didn't even seem like the same series because they butchered it so badly.
It kinda looked like this ^
So what did I do in my fit of unprecedented rage?

Well, I complained (heavily) and returned the damn thing.

Have you had any experiences with bootlegged anime?