Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mami didn't get enough character development

(Spoilers for episodes 1-3 of Madoka Magica)


Alright, so I've finally decided to sit down and watch Madoka Magica. I know that I'm an entire season late, but I wanted to marathon it in its entirety.

I've heard from many bloggers that this anime is a masterpiece, a deconstruction of the popular mahou shoujo (magical girl) genre. However, at this point of time in the show, I'm not really all that impressed.

The biggest reason for my disappointment so far?
Mami gets about two and a half episodes of development, and then she goes and gets herself beheaded. What the hell, guys? Do you really expect me to feel really sad about it when she hasn't even been around for that long? It pisses me off because I already knew she was going to croak (thanks internet), but I didn't know exactly when it was going to happen, so I played the guessing game.

This is my inner monologue in episode three:
(Mami talks about how happy she is to be fighting; how it feels good now that Madoka is there to support her)
Me: They totally wouldn't kill her now.
Why?
Me: Well, she just got so much more happy. If the writers are smart, they'll give her a few episodes to bask in that happiness before getting destroyed. This way, the viewer will feel much more moved by her death (Gurren Lagann did this right).
(Mami gets killed)
Me: Well... fuck.

It was too goddamn sudden. I literally felt no emotion as she got killed; if anything, I felt disappointment that she hadn't gotten more screentime to make me fall in love with her. Then, of course, Madoka and Sayaka are crying over their role model who they've known for around 2-3 days. COME ON, GUYS! THIS IS WAY TOO FUCKING RUSHED! SLOW IT THE FUCK DOOOWWWWWNNN!


/end rant

Even if it does nurture some disappointment in the character development area, the art is fantastic and creative, music is nice, Madoka's mom is fucking awesome, and the action is pretty epic.

It's not a masterpiece yet, though, and I'm waiting for it to prove me wrong.