Tuesday, April 19, 2011

I don't give a crap about "sustaining the industry"

I love buying anime DVDs.

I'll drive down to Best Buy any opportunity I have (which isn't often at all). Going to Best Buy is kind of exciting for me; I love walking through their tiny anime selection, trying to decide between Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and Tetsuwan Birdy Decode.

However, as much as I love to buy DVDs, I've never once thought while buying one, "wow, now I can sustain the anime industry! Wooo! Go Funimation!" I don't buy DVDs for that reason.

So why do I buy anime DVDs? Simply torrenting them illegally is a much more economical and illegal way of watching anime in high quality. I don't want a little file on my computer showcasing my entire anime collection; I want to have a tangible DVD collection that I can shelf, one that I can admire. I want to watch those anime DVDs on a plane or in the car (not while driving lol). I want to lend those discs to friends, so that they too can enjoy the experience.

One day when I run out of money to buy all these DVDs, I'm not going to think "drat! I really need to keep sustaining the industry! Here, let me scrape together what little money I have so that I can buy that $20 DVD."

I'll buy it because I want it, and I'm most certainly not going to preach to other people (presumably ppl without the money to buy expensive DVDs) about how they should support the industry. Odds are they don't really care, and their probably just fine with the illegal alternative.

God, this post was pretty stupid. What can I say? It's 10 PM; I have to get up early tomorrow, and I have a severe case of Writer's Block. It took almost all my brain cells and about half an hour to come up with this supar complex topic.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy my rambling. Maybe I'll produce something actually worth reading next time. I'm a glass-half-full type of girl as you can see. xD

So, do you like buying anime DVDs? If so, why do you buy them, and what do you think of all this "sustain the industry" stuff?