Friday, April 22, 2011

First Impressions: Ao no Exorcist

Synopsis: Our protag is the son of satan.
Thoughts: This was one of the shows that I was looking forward to in the spring season, and it didn't disappoint. I can't particularly speak much for the plot yet considering only one episode is out, but it's pretty captivating and I see a lot of potential in its idea. It's pretty ironic that the devil's own son is living with a bunch of priests. I can see why the church would want to get their hands on the devil's children, though. They can nurture them so to prevent a little of their inherent "evilness" and possibly make them into weapons to fight the very evil that spawned them. It's going to be a pretty motherfucking awesome ride.
Hell yea
The animation was spotless, befitting of an anime of modern times. Plus, those little demons were really cool, and I have a feeling that the designs for such demons will just keep getting better. As a side note, I was pretty impressed with the selection of voice actors; you can hear Okamoto Nobuhiko (he's been playing in a lot of recent anime), Fukuyama Jun (Lelouch from Code Geass; Shinra from Durarara!), and even Nakai Kazuya (Zoro from One Piece, Mugen from Samurai Champloo) of whom I'm a total whore for. Seriously, I fucking love this guy. His voice is the epitome of badass. If he's in an anime, even if it's total shit, I feel kind of compelled to watch it.

Other than all of that, was I the only one who was bothered by this guy's fucking moles?
Three moles. Three. I was just want to wipe them off or something... I don't why that miffs me so much. Since he's one o the main characters, I might as well get used to his excessive mole-ness.


Potential: 85%


It's a shonen, so there's always a chance that it'll end up shitty. Although, the visuals are pretty nice here, so even if the plot turns to crap, I probably still wouldn't mind watching it. I'm just that much of an animation whore. xD

Oh, and by the way, the whole "potential percentages" thing was kind of taken from Star Crossed Anime Blog, which is an awesome blog with quality writing that's definitely worth checking out.